Third Party Custody

Third-Party Custody Lawyers in Anoka

Sometimes, someone other than the parents are given custody of a minor child. Circumstances giving rise to the need for this may include chemical dependency, mental health, the death of one or both parents, or other issues that make it hard or impossible for a parent to care for their child. Courts can award temporary or permanent custody to a relative or other third party.

What is Third-Party Custody?

The establishment of the legal right to care for a child by a grandparent, family member, or someone other than the child’s parent is known as third-party custody. These custody rights allow the custodian to make important decisions for the child regarding education, medical care, and finances.

A third-party custody action does not terminate the rights of the child’s parent. It may restrict the parent’s ability to care for the child without the permission of the third-party custodian. This may be necessary if the parent is violent, has substance abuse issues, or otherwise cannot provide a safe environment for the child.

Is It Hard to Get Third-Party Custody?

These custody cases are governed by Minnesota law. The legal requirements for third-party custody actions are very specific and can be complicated. Decisions about who should have custody of a minor child are seldom easy, but determinations should always be based on the facts and circumstances governing what is in the best interest of the child.

If circumstances call for custody of a minor child to be given to a person other than the biological parents, someone who has already cared for the child may petition for custody. This person is usually the primary caretaker for the child and is referred to in law as the de facto custodian.

If you have been caring for a child and are not the biological parent, it is vital that you — while the child is still living with you — file a motion for custody. Without legal custody, you do not have any legal right to make decisions for the child. Until the court specifically orders it, you may not even be able to seek medical care for the child.

Custody is broken if the biological parents take the child before you file the motion, limiting the amount of consistent care you provided to the child.

What Is an Interested Third Party?

You may have heard the term “interested third party” used in connection with custody of a minor child and wondered who it refers to. An interested third party can be a relative, such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, or another family member. It can also be someone who can show that the parent demonstrated disregard for the child.

Third-party custody is a technical area of law and required pleadings must be skillfully prepared.

If you are caring for a child as either a de facto custodian or another interested third party and want to gain custody, or if you are a grandparent and want legally enforceable visitation rights, contact the experienced attorneys of Bolt Law Firm at (763) 292-2102 to schedule a free consultation.

Hear From Our Clients

    “I have been extremely pleased with her representation and would, and have, recommended to others.”

    “I strongly recommend Kelly Boyd for representation in a divorce case. I have dealt with good as well as bad attorneys and Kelly did a great job for me.”

    “I was referred to Kelly Boyd’s Law Firm and met with Kelly. I am so thankful for her. She helped me through the hardest time in my life; I can’t imagine life without her.”

    “Her ethics are of the highest standard! If you want an attorney you can count on, not overcharge you and get things resolved Kelly Boyd is the one to go to.”

    “Kelly Boyd is by far the best choice in every way...She was finally able to get me to a point where I feel my case is resolved and if, heaven forbid, I ever need an attorney again, I will happily run straight to her for help.”

Contact Our Firm

For a Free Initial Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.